School Health Nurse
This is a fantastic opportunity to experience parts of outback Australia that most Australians will never see.
Base salary range $108,617 - $114,586 plus 9.5% superannuation, 17.5% leave loading on 6 weeks’ annual leave, availability leave with $1,600 airfare allowance and salary packaging to increase take home pay.
- 6 weeks’ annual leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Availability leave incentive – potential to be eligible for availability leave every 12 weeks continuous employment on Ngaanyatjarra, this includes $1,600 airfare allowance each time.
- Rent free fully furnished house
- Mobile reception available in the community
- PBI Salary Packaging
This is a fantastic opportunity to experience parts of outback Australia that most Australians will never see. The role of the School Health Nurse is to provide health education/promotion, health screening, preventative care, and assist the health centre in ensuring clinical management of conditions as appropriate. Practicing within a Population and Primary Health Care framework and philosophy in a remote school setting.
Provide support to the Child Health Program, within the aims and objectives of NHS and assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of culturally appropriate clinical and health promotion functions across the Ngaanyatjarra region.
The successful applicant will be a registered nurse with AHPRA and have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a primary health care nurse/school nurse/child health nurse in a clinical situation and will have knowledge of health issues affecting Aboriginal people in remote communities.
The successful applicant will be highly self-motivated and driven and provided the experiences of a life time travelling by 4WD or plane in remote areas and learn about the Ngaanyatjarra people and their culture.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a National Police Check, Working with Children Check and must hold a current Australian Manual Drivers Licence.
Ngaanyatjarra health service is an Aboriginal community controlled health service located in the Ngaanyatjarra land that strives to work with indigenous and non-indigenous people the malparara way [two-way learning] as a part of the Ngaanyatjarra community to promote the health and wellbeing of people in the Lands.
Life on the Ngaanyatjarra lands:
The Ngaanyatjarra Lands cover a vast area of approximately 250,000km2 in the east of Western Australia, up to the Northern Territory and South Australian borders. The communities we service are scattered across the Great Victorian and Gibson Deserts. Approximately 2,000 Ngaanyatjarra people live in the communities on the Lands. Most people in the region speak Ngaanyatjarra as a first language. Some people may also speak English, Pitjantjatjara, Yankunytjatjara, Noongar and other regional Indigenous languages.
The Ngaanyatjarra Lands are serviced weekly by a regional air service, Chartair, providing RPT (regular public transport) flights into each community. Each community has Telstra mobile phone coverage (excluding Kiwirrkurra) and broadband internet.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working as a primary health care nurse/school nurse/child health nurse in a clinical situation.
- Registration with AHPRA as a registered nurse and in possession of a current practicing certificate.
- Interest in the health issues impacting on Aboriginal people in remote communities in Western Australia.
- Understanding of the principles of Primary Health Care, population health.
- Possess broad nursing experience and utilize clinical skills with confidence.
- Commitment to own professional development and sharing knowledge and skills with work colleagues.
- Possession of PEC, REC and appropriate SA immunisation certificate or eligible to obtain.
- Current Manual WA Drivers Licence.
- Current National Police Clearance and WA Working with Children Clearance or the ability to obtain.
- Ability to travel regional, remote and interstate on unsealed roads by 4WD or by light aircraft.
If you would like to join our team and experience the adventure that remote area living has to offer then click here to apply - Apply NOW
All applications must include a resume and responses to the selection criteria as per the position description below and provide 2 current professional referees.